Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) - Laini Taylor
please Dont hunt me down and shoot me for not loving it ORIGINAL POST : http://totallybookalicious.blogspot.com/2011/09/daughter-of-smoke-and-bone-by-laini.html Everyone and their grans have been so excited for this book. It has been the buzz of the book world for what seems like forever. So when I got a chance to actually review the UK arc OMG you should have seen me the day it came through. I was so tempted to read it weeks ago but I stayed strong and waiting to closer to the release date. I finally started it last week. And in total honesty, the book was was good but I was slightly disappointed.Daughter of Smoke and Bone tells the story of Karou a young girl who is brought up in two world. The regular world and a world that is filled with magic, mystery and inhuman creatures. Karou is trying to balance her two lives. However, when she meets Akiva her world and everything she thought she knew about herself is blown apart and who is she is revealed.Karou is a really interesting character. I am actually on the fence on whether I liked her or not. She is a strong character and is very unique but sometimes she comes across quite immature. But there is no denying the fact that she is never boring. She is also quite funny. I really like that about her. I guess I did warm up to her more when she gets to Akiva, the chemistry behind them is wonderful and draws you into the story.I really did struggle alot of with this book. It took me about a week to read it. And it kinda annoyed me because it was slow then picked up then when slow again then picked up again. The start of this book for me was pretty dull and didn't really get interesting until we are introduced to Akiva. However, it does drag on for a good bite with alot of world building. Now I like world building in books I do. But there is ALOT in this that it kinda put be off. And it could go pages without any of the characters actually having a conversation. I am one of those people who like alot of conversations between the characters in a book.HOWEVER, and this is a big however. The last 100 or so pages were OMG, explosive, exciting, freaking amazing! It totally made up for the rest of the book. When I was reading it I set myself a reading goal before bed to only read a little bit but I was completing drawn in to the book and the characters stories that I ended up sitting finishing the book and was left breathless with how the ending turn out.So overall, I was slightly disappointed in the book but the ending was awesome enough that I can't wait for book two and see how this series develops and what's in store for Karou.